Ok, so it’s your classic ingredients, only baked with a fun twist! I love the final result; pasta in pie form. Nothing less than awesome!
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound ground turkey or beef
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 pinch coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed with your hands
1 pound rigatoni pasta
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Heat the oil in large skillet over medium-high. Add the turkey and cook until it’s browned all over, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, crushed red pepper, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté another minute. Then add the crushed tomatoes and simmer on medium until thickened, 20 minutes.
3. In the meantime, cook the rigatoni until it’s slightly underdone. Drain and rinse with cool water. Toss with parmesan cheese. Lightly oil a 9-inch spring form pan. Tightly pack the rigatoni in the pan, standing on their ends.
4. Pour the meat sauce over the pasta. Push the meat down into the holes as best you can.
5. Slide into the oven for 15 minutes. Remove, top with mozzarella cheese, and bake another 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is browned and bubbly.
6. Let sit 15 minutes before slicing and serving!
7. Top with fresh basil if desired.