Dry chapped lips need gentle exfoliation to effectively remove dried skin. Using a little beautifying composition, lip cream or even petroleum jelly on a soft toothbrush and gently scrub in circular motions to remove old skin and moisturize at the same time. If a toothbrush isn’t handy try a little for the scrubbing action.
Do Not Do This
One habit many of us have is licking our lips when we feel that our lips are dry. Licking will make the chapping worse. We only get temporary relief, but the moment the saliva dries, it dries out the skin further. Another no-no is peeling or biting off skin flakes. Picking at the skin of the lips can lead to bleeding and discomfort. It will slow down the healing process even more.
Tips For Gorgeous Lips
- Drink enough water everyday, this will keep the body, skin and lips hydrated.
- Look out for hydrating ingredients like beeswax, shea butter, vitamin E, almond, jojoba or coconut oils. If not, just stick with petroleum jelly.
- Exfoliate your lips. Lip exfoliating work well on normal, healthy skin, but be careful if you have sensitive skin or if your lips are already chapped.
- Protect your lips from the sun. Use lip balms or lipsticks that contain SPF.
- Did you know using a matte lipstick can be too drying? That’s how the lipsticks stay put and stay matte for so long. When your lips are chapped or beginning to feel dry, use matte lipsticks with caution since they might aggravate your lips. I recommend that you leave your lips lipstick-free for awhile and just stick to lip balms to let them recover. Or if you really have to, then try using hydrating lipsticks instead, or add a layer of moisturizing lip balm underneath your matte lipstick.
- Mary Kay’s Satin Lips Set (pinkgumbeaux.wordpress.com)
- Exfoliate Your Lips with a Toothbrush (jeremiahtillman.wordpress.com)
- My Favourite Lip Balms (ellieloves.wordpress.com)
- Lip Scrubs & Exfoliators (lifeunsweetened.com)
- Remedies for chapped lips (myrecipesofhappiness.wordpress.com)