Photo Credit: pitayaplus
Native to Mexico, Central and South America, the pitaya is commonly referred to as the dragon fruit. This is an extremely beautiful fruit that has dazzling flowers and an intense shape and color. The dragon fruit is usually a dark red color, although some types of this fruit are pink or yellow. The skin of the dragon fruit is a thin rind. The skin is usually covered in scales, and the center of the fruit is made up of a red or white, sweet tasting pulp.
Health Benefits of Pitaya
- Pitaya is low in cholesterol and has no unhealthy cholesterol fats.
- Pitaya consists of a small amount of healthy monounsaturated fats because the fruit contains many seeds in its edible part. The seeds and the nuts in the fruit contain fats and proteins.
- Pitaya is also best known for its cleansing properties of the digestive system. The fibers in the fruit help to get better bowel movements. It is also a good solution for constipation.
- Pitaya is a natural source of antioxidants. Antioxidants help out a person from any free radicals that cause cancer. It also helps to slow down the aging process after the free radicals are reduced. Due to this, the skin looks young, flexible and tight.
- Pitaya contains a high amount of fiber that helps a person stabilize blood sugar levels. It also avoids sugar spikes that are often observed after eating high glycemic index foods. Therefore, it is good for a diabetic patient though you should consult your doctor before consumption.
Photo Credit: produceclerks
Check out: 11 Healthiest Foods On Earth
You Might Like
- Oil Pulling: Transform Your Health With An Ancient Ayurvedic Remedy
- Orange & Coconut Whipped Body Butter By Henry Happened; A Lifestyle Blog
- Laughter, Imagination, Dreams
- 10 Foods That Detoxify Your Mind & Body, Plus Things To Avoid
- Marshmallow Peep-Infused Vodka
- Fruit Frenzy (wildrejoicing.com)
- 10 Must-Try Exotic Fruits (silvermind08.wordpress.com)
- Dragonfruit Jewel Salad (sweetsugarcountry.wordpress.com)
- What agriculture plants can i grow in parts of Thailand with high water stress? (visit-chiang-mai-online.com)
- Dragon Fruit Bowl (pureswell.wordpress.com)