Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic remedy for oral health and detoxification. Using using pure oils as agents for pulling harmful bacteria, fungus, and other organisms out of the mouth, teeth, gums and even throat.
The Steps For Oil Pulling
Do this once a day for 15-20 minutes.
- Place one tablespoon of coconut, olive oil, or sunflower oil in your mouth.
- Swish the oil like a mouthwash approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Spit the oil out and rinse your mouth.
It is generally suggested using natural, unrefined, chilly-pressed oils for oil pulling. Sunflower oil and sesame oil are extremely recommended in this regard. You can use coconut oil or olive oil, too.
What Does Oil Pulling Do?
The oils mix with the saliva, turning it into a thin, white liquid. This liquid begin to pull out toxins from the saliva. As the oil is swished around the mouth, teeth, gums and tongue, the oil continues to absorb toxins, and usually ends up turning thick and viscous and white. Once the oil has reached this consistency, it is spit out before the toxins are reabsorbed. I recommend spitting the oil out half way through and start with fresh oil.
The Benefits of Oil Pulling:
- Whitens teeth
- Strengthens your gums, teeth & jaw
- Prevents cavities & gingivitis & benefits overall oral health
- Helps ease the symptoms of acne, eczema, psoriasis & other skin care issues.
- Helps the ease the symptoms of a hangover & migraines
- Helps people who have sleep issues.
- Clears out your sinuses.
- Helps with halitosis, improves morning breath.
- Helps with general oral pain issues.
- Could assist in hormonal imbalances.
- Pin For the Win?- Oil Pulling (marshallcampusrec.wordpress.com)
- Swish! Gwyneth Paltrow and Shailene Woodley bring attention to ‘oil pulling’ trend (kansascity.com)
- Can You Swish Oil for Twenty Minutes? (dailytwocents.com)